History, Mission, & Focus
In 1986, faced with severe drought conditions throughout the State of California, a group of local water agencies pooled resources in an effort to promote water conservation. Recognizing the benefits of regional programs, the agencies continue to work together through WEWAC.
The mission of the Water Education Water Awareness Committee is to promote water-use efficiency and to increase public awareness of the importance of water in Southern California.
Focus on Education
WEWAC places an emphasis on education. WEWAC makes every effort to form partnerships with educators and institutions within its service territory to assist in incorporating the conservation message into water curriculum. By instilling the value and importance of water-use efficiency today, WEWAC is not only investing in the present, but in the future as well.
- WEWAC demonstrates its commitment to enhance public awareness of efficient water management by coordinating and participating in community outreach projects.
- WEWAC members staff booths at local resource and educational fairs to promote water awareness.
- WEWAC provides financial support (scholarships) to high school seniors planning to attend a two or four year college in the following school year.
- WEWAC sponsors an annual junior high school and high school media contest to increase awareness of the importance of water in Southern California. The project enhances academic instruction by providing financial support to creative classroom projects that might not otherwise be possible.
- WEWAC offers educational grant opportunities for teachers. Through a competitive grant process, teachers can receive funding for educational programs and classroom activities that promote water-use efficiency.